My fellow Americans,
Sometime tomorrow, Republican presidential candidate Scott Walker will formally launch his campaign for the Republican presidential nomination.
As someone who has blogged about Walker on a regular basis for the past few years, I’ve come to know Walker as a horrible politician who, with the help of his political allies in the Wisconsin State Legislature, has destroyed Wisconsin’s economy, reputation, and quality of life. In a sane world, Walker’s record as Governor of Wisconsin would be an immediate disqualifier for any future campaign for public office. To give you a description of Walker’s style of politics, if one combined the worst elements of Richard Nixon, George W. Bush, Herbert Hoover, Jerry Falwell, and Grover Norquist, you’d get Walker.
Since taking office as Wisconsin’s chief executive four and a half years ago, Scott Walker has, among other things:
- Stripped collective bargaining rights from public employee unions
- Enacted wage theft laws allowing non-union workers at unionized workplaces to refuse to join a labor union and/or pay union dues despite receiving union-negotiated wages and benefits
- Drastically cut the pay of public employees
- Made it harder for Wisconsin women to seek legal recourse if they’ve been denied equal pay for the same work as their male counterparts
- Established a corporate welfare agency in Wisconsin that is rife with corruption, cronyism, and mismanagement
- Cut funding from public elementary, secondary, and higher education
- Expanded Wisconsin’s school voucher programs that funnel taxpayer money to religious schools
- Made it harder for Wisconsin women to get the reproductive health care they want
- Given out tax breaks to big businesses and the wealthy
- Weakened environmental protections
- Arrested people for singing
- Enacted discriminatory voter ID laws designed to keep Wisconsinites from voting
- Stripped local control from counties and communities in Wisconsin that usually vote for Democratic candidates
- Openly compared the people of Wisconsin to terrorists
- Blatantly violated campaign finance laws
- Given wealthy right-wingers and big business interests virtually complete control of Wisconsin’s state government
Walker’s policies and actions have, among other things:
- Driven down the wages of Wisconsinites
- Stifled economic growth in Wisconsin
- Has made Wisconsin one of the most corrupt states in the entire country
- Lowered the percentage of middle-class Wisconsin households
- Left Wisconsin with severe budget problems
- Made Wisconsin the laughingstock of America
However, we don’t live in a sane world. Walker has been elected Governor of Wisconsin three times in a four-year period against weak, uninspiring corporate Democrats. I believe that, if Democrats do not nominate Bernie Sanders for president, Scott Walker will become the next President of the United States, and, given how he’s wrecked Wisconsin over the past four and a half years, that is a truly scary thought. If Walker is elected president, what little remains of the American middle class and American sovereignty will be completely destroyed, big business interests will completely take over the federal government at every level, America’s federal budget deficit and national debt will grow massively, social safety net programs like Social Security and Medicare will be privatized or outright eliminated, America’s economy will crash again, and corruption will run amok in the federal government.
You can read about Scott Walker’s horrible track record here, here, here, here, and here, among many other places. Furthermore, if you ever get in touch with these people either in person or by other means, you can ask people like Lori Compas, Wendi Kent, Karen Vieth, Kati Walsh, Chris “Capper” Liebenthal, Zach Wisniewski, Kelda Roys, Chris Taylor, Melissa Sargent, Kathleen Vinehout, Rebecca Kemble, Fred Risser, Kelly Westlund, Barbara With, Randy Bryce, Sara Goldrick-Rab, Heather DuBois Bourenane, Ingrid Laas, Sachi Komai, Laura Komai, Jenni Dye, JoCasta Zamarripa, Laura Manriquez, Mandela Barnes, LaTonya Johnson, Angela Walker, Christine Sinicki, Lisa Mux, and Mike McCabe, just to name a few, about what they think about Scott Walker…they’re all Wisconsinites, and they know how horrible Scott Walker’s policies and actions have been for Wisconsin.
As a lifelong Illinoisan and proud progressive, I would walk through fire to vote for the Democratic opponent to Scott Walker if he were to be nominated by the Republican Party for the office of President of the United States if that’s what it took for me to get to the polls.
2 thoughts on “An open letter to America about Scott Walker from an Illinoisan who has blogged about Walker”
Thanks for the shout out, Aaron! Hopefully folks across America will open their eyes and see Scott Walker for who he is: someone who’s done incredible damage to Wisconsin.
Brilliantly said and absolutely correct, Aaron. I’m hoping that this fool, when placed on a platform with all the other fools, will be exposed for the lying psychopath that he is. It could happen because he’s been consistently screwing up. Remember, Sarah Palin. Even with handlers who worked tirelessly, if it wasn’t written on her paw, facts could not be found.